Saturday, March 17, 2012

We Have School at the Convenient Store -- because we're crazy like that.

We've always liked to pack up and head somewhere "special" to learn little things-- create a memory. 

In Missouri, it was books and cookies at the library coffee shop {yes, it was a.m.a.z.i.n.g} sometimes, it was books and donuts early in the morning at the local donut shop. Then of course, there's always the park.

I think school at the park is Chapter One in The "Typical Homeschool Trends" handbook; along with baby carriers and long skirts, ha!  That book doesn't really exist ; ) 

Typical or not, it's what we do.  Sometimes it's history, sometimes is devotion, sometimes it's just a silly book that makes us all laugh loud and heads turn. This week, it was The Tale of Three Trees. 

It starts with loading cups into bags and books into hands. Yes, always take your own cup, refills are around 59cents compared to $1.40 for a drink in their plain 'ol not special at all  their cup.  We're mug people around here, everyone has their favorite.



Then we head out. No big deal right? 

Today I walked into our towns little grocery store with no kiddos, a rare thing indeed (ooh, maybe Daniel is my secret servant this week?) I was all alone, in my own little world, price comparing and trying to get the best deal on chicken. 

Greeting the clerk a friendly, "Hi how are you today", then moving my stare past her onto my items,  watching those sought after good deals move across the scanner, wondering if the clerk would see the $2 off instant coupon on my smart chicken... she says to me--

"I saw you the other day, are those your kids?"

Totally confused, I ask "You saw me? Where?"

"At the store, reading to your kids." 

"Oh, yeah" I reply,  "Those are my kids. Wait! Unless they were bad then they aren't mine" ; ) 

She continues, "Yeah, I heard you reading to them." 

Sliding my chicken across the scanner, removing my coupon, she goes on to tell me how she heard me asking the kids what their dreams were for when they were grown and she listened as Judah told me he wanted to be an NBA Player. Continuing to listen, she heard me bring it back to the book, where the three trees had big dreams but God used them to fulfill those dreams in His way, not looking exactly the way they had planned.

She says, "I heard you ask him,

What if God has a different plan for you?"


Then she heard his reply, 

"Oh, he would never do that to me, it's my dream and he's given me the skills to do it." 

Telling me my total and reaching her hand out for the money, her eyes tear up and she turns her elbow towards me to see her scar. 

That was my dream too and it seemed so reachable, until I fell and broke my arm just this year before my senior year of high school. I can't play like I use to and now no schools will choose me.

She smiles real big, tears still welling and says,

"I don't know why it wasn't His plan but I know somehow, it's all going to be used to give Him glory--  I know he has a plan."

 
Slipping into my van, chicken loaded carefully in the trunk, I see the book there on my dash. I walk back in and say, "I still had the book." 

She smiles that real big Jesus smile and says--

"Oh wow, thanks!"  


For everything there is a season,
      a time for every activity under heaven. Ecclesiastes 3:1 NLT


Oh, NBA seems like a big unreachable dream, doesn't it? Well, i've had dreams both big and small that never happened. Hopes, dreams, goals, and wonders that at this time in my life, God just didn't answer. 

My prayer for us is this: May we find grace and give glory in each season, my friend. May we live today with the crazy peace and comfort that only our great big God can give.

May Mercy, Peace, and love be yours in abundance. Jude 1:2




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on any of our days. Please remember to show love when doing so. :-) Thanks!