Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Blessed


Can you believe I get to go to bed and when I wake up there will be fresh clean laundry waiting for me in my laundry room? It's a funny thing: we put the clothes in, they wash, we switch; they dry and then we put them away.

We sure are blessed.

Happiness, I've found, comes from the way we look at things.

The other night I was cooking dinner for my family and another family. When straining the noodles a big portion of them fell onto the floor. I was already running late so cooking more noodles was not what I needed. After a short pause, it was as though a little light bulb went off in my head. I said aloud "Oh look, the food we are so very blessed to have just fell on our nice clean kitchen floor, in our nice warm home... what a bummer."

Funny, huh? Sometimes something as simple as noodles spilling on the floor can be the straw that breaks the camels back after a long day; but maybe we should just step back and observe the situation:

1. Noodles cooked over a hot stove
2. In crystal clean drinking water
3. In a warm home
4. For delivery to friends and my healthy, wonderful family to enjoy.
5. Where that food will nourish us and we will sleep comfy and cozy in our warm beds.

We have so much to be Thankful for, if we just stop and look around us.

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine wrote these words (which I find myself agreeing with) on his blog (wwww.djword.blogspot.com):

    "When I think of what I am thankful for at Thanksgiving I have chosen to not be thankful for the things that I have that others do not have. I have chosen to not be thankful that I live in America while others do not. I have chosen to not be thankful that I have a roof over my head while others do not. I have chosen to not be thankful for health while others are sick and dying. I have chosen to not be thankful for religious and personal freedom while others die for their beliefs. I have even chosen to not be thankful for my family while there are those suffering great loneliness.

    Instead I have chosen to reinvent this Holiday for myself. I am thankful for the things we can all be thankful for. I have chosen to be thankful for the things that all citizens of the world hold in common. I have chosen to be thankful for those things the Holy Book I have chosen to follow tell us others were thankful for. In doing this, I hope I can have solidarity with the lonely, hurt, the dying, the poor and the outcast, the brothers and sisters under oppression and those around the globe."

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on any of our days. Please remember to show love when doing so. :-) Thanks!